Sunday, May 1, 2011

Burgers!


In honor of the weekend, let's grill some burgers!  The weather in Houston this week has been amazing!  Cool temps, low humidity and breezy.  Everything spring weather should be but usually isn't here!  Edited to add that by the time I posted this we're back to hot and super humid.  Bummer.

First, let's just get this out of the way.  Ladies, you can use the grill.  There.  I said it.  It's a well known fact in our house that I am the one that does 99% of the grilling.  I don't understand why so many women are intimidated by a gas grill.  It's really simple ladies.  Turn it on, let it heat up, give it a good scraping to make sure it's clean and you're ready to go!  A huge plus...no dishes to clean up!  Grilling is definitely my preferred method of cooking when the weather is nice.

Okay, on to the burgers.  These are really simple.  No crazy recipe here, just my normal way of doing burgers.  First I start out by making an herb butter.  To start, get a stick of unsalted butter and lay it on a piece of plastic wrap.  Next, fold in some chopped garlic and fresh herbs of your choice.  I used basil here since it's what I have growing right now.


Once you have your garlic and herbs incorporated, form the butter into a log shape, wrap it up and pop it into the freezer for a few minutes to harden.


Now, take your ground beef and shape into patties.  Make an indention in each patty and put a slice of the hardened butter into each indention.  Cover up the butter by molding the meat around it.  Basically you'll have a pat of butter on the inside of your patty.  This makes your burger super delicious!





After you're done embedding the butter, sprinkle each patty with cracked pepper and sea salt.  Now we're ready to grill.  Place your patties on a grill that's been preheated on high.  I take a little olive oil and oil my grates before placing the patties so that they won't stick. Cook for about 7 minutes per side, or until a meat thermometer registers well done.  I know, many people scoff at the idea of well done hamburgers but I'm not willing to chance getting sick.  So I suggest cooking your burgers people!  Also, a couple of minutes before the burgers are ready, use some of your herb butter for the buns and throw them on the grill.  Delish!


See!  Wasn't that easy?  Now make your plate of garnishes.  I like to use little heirloom tomatoes, provolone, avocado, grilled onions, bacon or prosciutto.  Don't be afraid to stray from the normal toppings.


I served this particular meal with a little Caprese salad made with the leftover tomatoes.  My husband says he's definitely a fan of my blogging if it means more meals like this!


Okay ladies, if you haven't already, get out there and try your grill!  Also, let me hear from you if you're the designated grill master in your house!

1 comment:

Jaimie said...

Truly, I am the exception to the rule. The grill completely confounds me every single time. My stuff never turns out right, and since JJ is soooooo good at grilling, I'm perfectly happy to leave it to him. ;)