Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Leftover Easter Candy

I believe that I've mentioned before that I'm cheap...really cheap.  I mean, who doesn't love getting a deal?  Enter my love of couponing.  Don't get me wrong, you're never going to see me on TLC's Extreme Couponing.  You'll definitely see me in the store, mostly Target, a couple of times a week though getting some extreme deals.


Let's examine this week's goodies.  Thanks to Easter clearance, the candy is super cheap this week.

John Frieda Hair Color - $11.99 ($5.00 Target coupon) ($5.00 manufacturer coupon) = $1.99
Ziploc Baggies - $1.79 ($2.00 coupon when you buy 2 bags of M&M's) = $0.21
2 Bags of M&M's - $1.44
Toddler Shorts - $4.50 (20% off Target mobile coupon) = $3.60
2 Bags of Hershey Bliss - $1.74 ($1.50 manufacturer coupon) = $0.24
2 Bags Lifesavers Jelly Beans - $1.24 ($1.00 manufacturer coupon) = $0.24
1 Bag Dove Chocolate - $0.87 ($1.00 manufacturer coupon) = $0.13
2 Packs of 5 Gum - $1.24 ($1.00 manufacturer coupon) = $0.24
2 Packs of Stride Gum - $0.96 ($1.00 manufacturer coupon) = $0.03
Aquafresh Toothbrush - $1.99 ( $1.00 Target coupon) ($1.00 manufacturer coupon) = $0.01

Total Spent = $7.37 ($5.00 Target Gift Card earned last week) = $2.37!

Okay, so now what to do with all of this candy?  Let's see, I scoured my trusty blogs and of course, they didn't let me down.  I found some really fun things to do with leftover candy.

Jelly Beans
These jelly bean bracelets from Quirky Momma are so cute.  I know that M and her friends will have a blast making them.  Definitely something we'll do once school is out.


I had forgotten that jelly beans make excellent fillers for cookie and cake pop displays!  These sugar cookie pops from Oh How Posh are so cute sitting in their bed of jelly beans!


Chocolate
There are tons of things you can do with leftover Easter chocolate.

1. For starters, chop it up and use it in place of chocolate chips in cookie recipes.  Honestly, I like chunks better than chips anyway.

2. You can also melt it in a saucepan with a little bit of cream to make a yummy chocolate sauce for ice cream sundaes.

3. Chocolate chunk pancakes.  A favorite in our house.

4. Give them away to your friends.  I have a feeling they're just about OD'd on chocolate right now so maybe wait a bit and surprise your neighbor that gave up M&M's for Lent with a bag of M&M's?  (Hey neighbor, you know who you are!)

Or, you could just open up all the bags and consume them all by yourself.  Probably not the best idea if you don't want to be mistaken for one of the performers at Sea World this summer!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

A and J will love making jelly bean bracelets this summer. And m&m's are ALWAYS welcomed at my house- YUMMY!